Pages

Sunday, April 28, 2013

Bed-Time Stories

Cim "crocheting a hat for Cousin Zoe" with two pieces of grass.

Lately Cim has decided she wants stories at night instead of songs. I've started telling her micro-stories, 1.5-2 minute stories which are made up on the spot, usually about animals. It's been a great boost for my creativity, and we've both been enjoying it. Lately she's begun helping me, and sometimes telling her own. Here are a couple of examples.

Me: "And then the little ballerina--"
Cim: "Jumped out of the water like a HIPPO . . . no . . . a dolphin."

Cim: "Let me tell you a story. Once upon a time, there was a mommy who told me to go to the temple. Once upon a time there was a little boy who wasn't afraid of scary monsters. Once upon a time there was a little boy, and he wasn't afraid of scary mommies. Once upon a time there was a little boy who wasn't afraid of monsters, or mom mom mom mom mom mom moms, or grandmamas, or grandpapas, or daddies, or monsters. Once upon a time, the end."






2 comments:

  1. I'm interested in the story behind all her variations on "not being afraid or scared." Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's at an age where she's trying to figure out what is worth being afraid of. For example, when I told her she couldn't touch bumble bees because they might sting her, she became paralyzingly afraid of them. She's no longer afraid of shadows, however, because I showed her how they're made, and now she thinks they're fun to play with. She's terrified of stink bugs, but loves ants. Not sure what's up with that.

    As for monsters and mommies--I have no idea. I don't even know where she learned about monsters, but one of her favorite pastimes these days is scaring them away by roaring at them or waving sticks, haha.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment; knowing people are reading encourages me to keep writing.